The SDA Redress Scheme FAQs

What does Redress provide?

The SDA Church, with its Redress Scheme is hoping to assist survivors:

  • through counselling for as long as is reasonably necessary;
  • by providing an apology and/or re-engagement with the SDA Church, if desired; and
  • by providing a financial payment as a tangible acknowledgement of the harm suffered.

How do I make an application for redress?

In order to make an application for redress, complete an Application form and return it to AdSAFE. If you need any assistance in completing this form you can contact our Redress Officer or a member of our Survivor Services. The contact details for AdSAFE are set out below.

Do I need to get any legal advice in completing my application?

You can obtain legal advice when completing your application form if you wish. However, the SDA Interim Redress Scheme is designed to be a simple process and does not require you to obtain independent legal advice prior to submitting the application. Our Redress Officer or Survivor Services team can assist you in clarifying the type of information that you can provide to support your application.

What information is required to assess my application for redress?

In assessing an application for redress a number of factors are considered including the severity and type of abuse and the impact of that abuse on you.  You can provide police reports, reports from your doctor or counsellor, a personal statement from you or the like.  We are happy to talk to you about the type of information you may be able to provide with your application if you have any questions.

Am I eligible for Redress?

Certain eligibility criteria will need to be met in order to qualify for redress such as:

  1. You were a child at the time of the abuse;
  2. The abuse was perpetrated by an SDA Church worker, local church volunteer or any other officer representing the SDA; and
  3. At the time of the abuse the SDA Church was responsible or should be considered responsible for your care and welfare.

If you have any questions about your eligibility please contact our Redress Officer who can help guide you through the eligibility criteria.

How will my application be assessed?

An external assessor will use the guidelines for assessing redress applications as set down by the Royal Commission. You will be advised of what material the assessor has available when considering your application and given the opportunity of providing additional material prior to your application being assessed.

Can I make a personal statement on the impact of the abuse on me?

All personal statements detailing the impact of the abuse on you are welcome. You may wish to make this statements by way of a written statement or a recorded statement. If you have any questions on what should be included in your victim impact statement you can contact our Redress Officer. Our Survivor Services will also be able to help connect you with professionals who can guide you through the process of preparing a statement should you require this.

How long does the Redress process take?

AdSAFE is committed to assessing an application for redress in a timely manner but understands that a survivor may struggle to provide necessary documentation which will assist in achieving the best outcome. Therefore, our application process is guided by the needs of the survivor and once the survivor is satisfied that all relevant material and statements have been provided to us, the application will be forwarded to the external assessor.

Is there a time limit to apply for Redress?

There is no time limit to apply for redress. We understand that these types of process can be distressing for some and it is our intention to limit this by not imposing any time limits on when an application for redress should be made.

What happens after my application has been assessed?

Once your application has been successfully assessed an offer will be made to you. So that you can properly consider this offer, the Redress Scheme will meet the reasonable costs (in the amount of $1,100.00) of engaging a solicitor of your choosing to advise you on the effect of the offer.

Do I have to report the abuse to Police?

It is up to you whether you report the abuse to police and Survivor Services can assist you and support you in reporting the abuse to the police if you so choose. The Survivor Services team will be able to explain to you the options available in relation to reporting the abuse to the Police. The SDA Church, like all organisations, has a responsibility to report all incidences of child abuse to the Police.

Can I provide feedback on my experience with the Redress scheme?

We encourage you to provide any feedback that you may wish, both positive and negative.  It is our aim that each applicant, who applies for redress, will have a positive experience and not be further traumatised however any comments or criticisms which will allow us to improve this service will be welcomed.

Where do I send my application for redress?

You can post your application for redress to:

PO Box 966
Wahroonga NSW 2076

Or email it to: